Things to know:
- XBMC is too old to recognize the ".nomedia" file. You'll need to upgrade to a recent build of Kodi.
- To get a proper ".nomedia" file in Windows, you have to tell Windows to name the file ".nomedia.", with a trailing period.
- advancedsettings.xml should be in "%appdata%\Kodi\userdata\".
- You don't need all the fancy regex crap you see in the examples. <regex>somethingsimple</regex> will do.
- If you're having problems with "excludefromscan", you should know there is a separate tag for TV shows called "excludetvshowsfromscan". So if you're having problems with "excludefromscan" not excluding TV show directories, this is probably why.
That last one killed me for bloody hours. I suppose it makes sense to have different settings for movies and TV, but why oh why isn't the first tag "excludemoviesfromscan"?
Also, Kodi 17 Krypton doesn't seem to respect the .nomedia file properly in all cases. I don't know why I seem to be the only one having that problem.